He helped me graduate. Literally.

>> Sunday, March 14, 2010

Really. This happened in May 2005 (I know it’s been some time, but as you can see, it has never left my mind) when I had finished my studies in Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) for my diploma in occupational therapy (I’m now a private practicing occupational therapy clinician with Urbanrehab, but that’s another story for now), where NYP had sent a letter regarding graduation procedures to my actual residence in Johor Bahru (where I stayed for good number of years). And my darling mother had just chucked it aside without telling me the content. Apparently, it had been sitting there for ages! And lo and behold, my darling mom, so conveniently pulled it out the night before the actual graduation and showed it to me. Here’s a little of what it said. “All graduates who want to graduate on this given date must inform the school in writing at least ONE WEEK in advance.” Great job darling mom! And this is the night before!!! I called one of my good friends to ask for her help, and she kindly agreed to help liaise. Here is where all the miracles happens. Miracle #1: I found a full suit to use for the graduation (note: given the fact that I literally stay in Singapore, I tend to carry very light clothing back to JB – yes, I WAS in JB the night I found out I was to graduate the next day in SINGAPORE. And I slept early that night. Miracle #2: We drove into Singapore, and got stuck in customs at 830 am. Graduates were supposed to have registered by 9 am to graduate. And I remembered, I prayed: “Oh Lord, help us pull through and me graduating fine, and I’ll serve you all the days of my life.” It was only AFTER I prayed finished that I recalled the severity or safely said, the weight of the words I spoke. We cleared the customs at 9.30 am, and proceeded to get lost around the dairy farm area in bukit timah road. Yup. We did get lost. Miracle #4: We arrived at NYP at 10.05 am, and we rushed to park; my friend had graciously registered for me and I was ushered in. And lo and behold, as I sauntered in, I heard my name being called and I immediately walked to the front stage, posed in front of the camera, shook the dean’s hands, and took my certificate, and came down.
Then I recalled Him saying: “Remember your promise.”
Ho boy. I remember my promise. =p

0 comments: